One of the most important things you can do when you move into a new home is change the locks. You never know who might have a key to your new place, and changing the locks is the best way to ensure your security. Here are five tips to help you change your locks before you move into your new home.
1. Have an inventory of all the locks in your new home. Before you can change the locks, you need to know what kinds of locks you are dealing with. Make a list or take pictures of all the doors in your new home, both inside and out, and note what kind of lock each door has. This will help you when it comes time to purchase new locks.
2. Choose the right locks for your needs. There are many different types of locks on the market, so it’s important to choose the ones that are right for your needs. If you’re concerned about security, chooselocks that are pick-resistant and bump-resistant. If you’re more concerned about convenience, choose locks that can be operated with a keyless entry system.
3. Have a professional install your new locks. Unless you are a experienced locksmith yourself, it’s best to have a professional install your new locks. They will know how to properly install the locks so that they are secure and functioning properly.
4. Change the codes on your keyless entry system. If you have a keyless entry system, be sure to change the codes before you move in. This will ensure that only you have access to your home.
5. Keep your old keys until you’re sure all the locks have been changed. Once you’ve changed all the locks in your new home, be sure to hold onto your old keys until you’re positive that all the new locks have been properly installed and are working correctly. Once you’re sure everything is in working order, you can dispose of your old keys safely.
Changing the locks in your new home is one of the most important things you can do to ensure your security. By following these five tips, you can rest assured that your new home is safe and secure against intruders.